9.25.2008

If I could take tomorrow off work I'd...

This is for the Mama's Losin It blog which offers little writing assignments every so often. Usually I confine this blog to the dreams that I remember from my sleeping state, but a little variety doesn't hurt every now and then. :)

If I could take tomorrow off work I'd...

One thing come to mind: painting.

I've recently re-ignited my passion of Japanese and Chinese Brushpainting. I reach points in the painting where I can spend hours ink to the paper, creating the serenity that I seek.

I started a class last week in Chinese Painting at Burlington Community College with the venerable instructor Zhe Zhou Jiang. His enthusiasm for the art is infectious. I feel that I can finally 'reach that next level' so to speak in my art style. I believe it's just a matter of time, patience, and practice now.

So, yes, I would paint for as much of the day as I could. I would practice the Four Gentlmen strokes (Bamboo, Chrysanthemum, Plum Blossom, and Orchid). I would experiment with different 'colors' of black ink. Black Ink with water added creates shades of grey which are considered to be colors in their own right in this type of painting.

I am relatively decent with flora and still life as the subjects of my painting. Though I think I would focus on trying landscapes since it seems the next logical step in painting. Know the pieces before attempting the whole.

There we have it. I would let the madness that is my love of painting consume my whole day. Though I would have to remember to take a break to get something to eat. :) Hopefully, I'll have some paintings to post up to here soon.

EDIT:
An example from a few years ago:
Chinese Magnolia Watercolor on Cold-Pressed Watercolor Paper.
Chinese Magnolia

10 Comments:

Blogger tiarastantrums said...

beautiful - and sounds like a great day ahead of you!

9:41 AM  
Blogger Weeksie50 said...

What a fun day for you..

That is beautiful..
I love it.

3:01 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Wow, beautiful watercolor! By the way, my day off involved a day of art as well. :)

3:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

so cool! good for you!!

6:52 PM  
Blogger Lex the mom said...

I think you should paint much, much more. If it something you're passionate about - the day off will be worth it doing what you love.

That's a beautiful painting. Thanks for sharing.

10:14 PM  
Blogger jori-o said...

Amazing painting! You are truly talented!

10:22 PM  
Blogger artkdz said...

What a beautiful painting. And I am so totally with you on the whole taking a day off and being able to paint. It's been months since I've picked up a sketchbook, or made jewelry, or knitted, etc.

9:06 AM  
Blogger Melissa said...

Wow, you sound so creative!!! That painting is awesome!!!

9:55 AM  
Blogger KatBouska said...

That's beautiful...you could totally sell it...or have a contest giveaway!!!! I want one.

5:01 PM  
Blogger schue said...

Congrats, dude - I am no expert in art, but I love your work.

7:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home