11.05.2007

The Dream Cycle, 2007.24

Nightmare: The Heat Of The Pyre

I was tied to a stake on what looked like a cold winter morning. I couldn't feel the cold, though. Bundles of wood were place at the bottom of the stake around my feet and set on fire. The fire started slowly burning as it lit up and then suddenly jumped up and engulfed me. The reds, yellows, and oranges of the flame were all that I could see for a while, and I could smell the odor of burning clothes, skin, and hair; but I felt no pain. I found it very odd that I could feel the heat of the flames covering me, then I lost my sense of smell.

Looking out through the licking flames I could see the faces of the people watching me, burning me. Their faces were uncaring and contorted, twisted and vague. They watched my death with sickening satisfaction; screaming curses at me every so often but I could not hear them, everything was silent.

Then, I felt my eyes pop and I was greeted by darkness with the silence. There was no sound, no sight, no smell; only sensation. I could feel my skin charring and cracking from the tremendous heat of the pyre. And through it all, I felt heat. Heat everywhere. Into my mouth and my chest, passing through my lungs and into my organs. Burning. My consciousness was on fire, I could still feel those people watching me and their hateful gazes felt like scorching iron brands.

I really wanted to wake up at the beginning of this nightmare, but the nightmare wouldn't let me.

4 Comments:

Blogger Ken said...

We don't need no water let the mother "f"er burn...

3:23 PM  
Blogger Los said...

Dude ... that was creepy.

6:42 PM  
Blogger Ink and Stone said...

You're telling me, I had trouble sleeping for a day or two after that.

I think it was slightly inspired from a movie commercial I saw. Something about a guy who goes in for surgery and gets put under, but he's completely aware of the surgery and can feel every cut.

Creepy, indeed.

8:25 AM  
Blogger Dragonfly said...

WOW!! you worry me bro!

6:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home