8.18.2006

Memories...

This morning was beautiful... a nice coolness in the atmosphere, partially cloudy with the sun just peeking through, areas of light fog over the fields and waterways. It reminded me of when I was around 10 years old. Both happy and sad feelings.

When I was 10, my Pop and my Uncle used to take my cousin and I to this fishing camp in Mt. Airy, MD. I really loved that area, it was slightly mountainous, covered in trees, with veins of granite and marble sticking up all over the place. At this camp, they had various activities - learning to cast, fly fishing, fly tying, and identifying good fishing spots are a few that I remember. Well, this morning's weather reminded me of that camp since the weather there was very similar to this morning. That's good happy memories. Incidently, the fishing organization's name was The Brotherhood of the Junglecock. Yes, my cousin and I had tons of laughs at the name's expense.

Now the sad - both my cousin and uncle are on the 'other side'. My cousin died about 5 to 6 years ago of a heroin overdose - obviously my uncle was never the same after that. He was a drinker before that and upped the ante after that. My uncle died about 2 years ago of a heart attack - personally I think it was a broken heart.

I wish my cousin and I never grew distant after we stopped going to the camp. Maybe, just maybe, if we had stayed close, I could have affected his choices - made him rethink about using heroin, or kept him off it. 'What Ifs' are a bad way to think about things, but I know it well never leave me.

2 Comments:

Blogger Los said...

Sometimes you gotta wonder though - if you had stayed close to him, would he have influenced you into using heroine? It makes ya think, sometimes.

9:00 AM  
Blogger Ink and Stone said...

That's a good point, Los. I had my own battles years back, with 'softer' drugs - speed, acid, shrooms, weed, hash, and angeldust. I can't really say they were 'battles' back then, considering I enjoyed it. Now, though, I am glad I got past that stage and changed my way of thinking. I like being in control of my mind - not giving up control for a fleeting 'high'.

10:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home