9.12.2006

Ink's Techie Tip of the Week

Update your hardware drivers!

That's right. Whether it's your sound card, video card, monitor, keyboard, motherboard or whatever, it's always a good idea to check the item's manufacturers website every so often for driver updates.

A small example: I recently installed Logitech 5.1 surround speakers on my system, patched through via a Creative Audigy 2 card. All was fine and dandy until I noticed that the Audigy's device controller kept resetting the speaker settings from 5.1 to 2.1 settinga (which is my old setup and the programs' default). So I went program diving trying to find why it was resetting with no luck. So I figured mayve the drivers/software of the card was buggy and downloaded the latest updates from Creative's site. Viola! All fixed and I'm enjoying my happy jamming surf rock in 5.1 channels of polyphonic hi-fi goodness in psychohead blowout style! Dig it!

2 Comments:

Blogger Los said...

Somebody should make a program that automatically checks all programs for updates ... or does Microsoft already do that (Seriously - I don't know.).

8:47 AM  
Blogger Ken said...

Si that's what you were doing the other daywhen you didn't come to work. But seriously... wht's up with the Microsoft update page. It takes forever (5 min) to search my computer for updates.

10:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home