10.09.2006

Do you Vertigo??

I had Benign Positional Vertigo over the last week.

Benign - Relatively harmless - not going to spread.

Positional - Only hits me when I turn my head or shift my eyes.

Vertigo - That's where an inner ear problem - could be a cold, extra fluid, or a host of other stuff - messes up your equilibrium by throwing off the workings in the semi-circular canal in the ear.

I really didn't mind the unbalanced part, I found it kind of humorous. What creeped me out is the lack of control over my own function. That was pretty scary.
I turn my head to the left, suddenly I feel like I'm falling to the left, so I either try to catch myself on the 'fall' by moving left, or tilt to the right to counter the 'falling' on the left. Course I'm not falling, so I go careening out of control.

My doc gave me a prescrip for Antivert, which is a motion sickness/vertigo medicine. But, my insurance doesn't cover it so I got stuck Meclizine - a generic motion/vertigo sickness drug. Seems to work but it makes me very drowsy.

I'm just glad I have my balance back...
Now I can walk into things of my own accord once again. Not because of some sickness.

2 Comments:

Blogger Los said...

Good thing that you have nothing between your ears that you have to worry about damaging.

12:53 PM  
Blogger Ink and Stone said...

LOL. Brains are for the weak. If you listen closely to my ears... you can hear the sound of the ocean.

2:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home