6.06.2009

The Old Pine

My version of Qing Gaozong's Old Pine:

The Old Pine
Ink on Shuen Rice Paper.

The little brown sliver on the left of the image is part of the wood block holding the paper down.

Painting the twisting nature of the pine was interesting, it was a simple lesson in remembering not to cross certain lines. I tried to take extra care with the needles - trying to keep larger needle strokes near the center of the bunches and smaller needle strokes on the outside.

I started the painting with very light ink and then added darker inks in layers. The final layer was black ink with a wet brush for the tree's edges. The bark texture is a mix of black ink - dry brush and light grey ink - wet brush.

Labels: , , , , ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Ken said...

I dig the twistiness of the branches. Reminds me of that tree from Brian's Ipod touch.

9:40 AM  
Blogger Los said...

Really good work, Ink ... you are really getting good at this.

8:04 AM  
Blogger Ink and Stone said...

Thanks, foos!

9:09 AM  
Blogger -B- said...

Ink - that truly kicks enlightened @ss!! I love it - what are the dimensions of the painting?

Keep posting new paintings.

10:37 AM  
Blogger Ken said...

Need a new post. A tree scanned will do, but I'd rather see a minute by minute instructioanl video on Sumi by artist Ink.

10:08 PM  
Blogger Ink and Stone said...

" I'd rather see a minute by minute instructioanl video" - except I dont have a video cam. :/

4:47 PM  
Blogger The Rambling Taoist said...

Aah, but you ARE a Taoist! Learning is the whole point and so, if you're on that road, you're already there. :)

3:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home