10.23.2008

I'd walk a mile...

More writer's workshop for Mama's Losin' It. Enjoy!

Complete the sentence "I'd walk a mile for a ________." and continue writing about it.

I'd walk a mile for a Matsumoto's Shaved Ice. Actually, I would walk much much farther than a mile for a Matsumoto's. Let's take a little journey back in time.

I'm twelve years old. My family takes a trip to Hawai'i to visit my Grandmother, Grandfather, and Uncle who live in Mililanitown on the island of Oahu. It was a nice little vacation. Many points of it it stick out in my mind. Swimming in Hanuama Bay (were they planaria swimming below me?), watching the Blow Hole (shut up, Los), experiencing a Lu'au (hope I spelled that correctly) are a few of the things I remember.

But there are two incidents that forever colored my view of Hawai'i - in a good way, that is. My family decided to climb Diamondhead, an extinct volcano on Oahu. After that, we stopped at a shaved ice place called Matsumoto's. This place served all kinds of tasty flavors of shaved ice and the shaved ice itself was smooth and refreshing! While I don't remember the flavors that I got on my shaved ice (hey, it was 23 years ago! sheeesh!), I DO remember that I absolutely loved it.

I have had many snow cones, water ices, and 'shaved ices' from other vendors since then; but NONE of them compare to Matsumoto's! So yes, I would walk a mile or ten for a Matsumoto's Shaved Ice.

Oooo! They have a web presence!

6 Comments:

Blogger KatBouska said...

We're big fans of the ice cream!! But I'll have to ask Pat about this shaved ice you speak of...maybe that's why he always calls our fair snow cones ghetto. :)

10:24 AM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Nice walk down memory lane!

11:48 AM  
Blogger Weeksie50 said...

Girl, You made me want some of this too..lol and I have never heard of this brand before..

2:56 PM  
Blogger Ashley said...

I remember going to Diamondhead when I was younger. And the trip to Black Sand Beach. Oh, how I miss Hawai'i!

9:00 PM  
Blogger Gwen said...

We visited Hawaii 2 years ago and I will never forget Diamondhead. It was the most beautiful veiw ever. We are supposed to go back this year for scuba diving. I will definitely be looking for your snow cones now. :)

10:24 PM  
Blogger Los said...

I think there's something to be said about good shaved ice ... a friend of mine at work mentioned something about the surface area having to be just right ... I should've punched him in the face...

5:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home