11.13.2008

Writer's Workshop

So Mama Kat has put up the next set of prompts over at her blog for the writer's workshop. This time around I'm going to tackle three of these prompts.

1.) Write a haiku about what you see out the window.

Structured mass of glass
Building rises to the sky
A reflective skin

Concrete vein stretches
Traffic is the highway's blood
Extending outward

Incidentally, I have a blog dedicated to nothing but haikus.
If you're interested, take a look: The Daily Haiku.


2.) Begin with "I thought I saw..."

Considering the main purpose of this OHCF blog is to record my dreams, I thought this second prompt could fit well with it.

I thought I saw, in a dream, a great nuclear cloud rising above the city. I was in the bedroom of my apartment and looked out the window towards Philadelphia. The sight that greeted me was both horrendous and terrifying. The cloud was an ominous mixture of orange, red, and black. I stumbled back from the window aghast, eyes wide with fear...

... and promptly woke up, sweating and slightly shaking. I usually don't wake from nightmares, but this scared the crap out of me. I am glad it was only a dream and pray that it never happens to any city on this planet.


3.) If I could live in any era of history, what would it be -- list 10 reasons why.

I'm mixing a few different eras into the list since listing ten reasons for any one era would be a bit difficult. :)

Ancient Greece.
I would have loved to experience this era. Some of the greatest leaps in scientific advancement came from it.

Also, I would have liked to live in Ancient Greece to experience a fully polytheistic society.

And Ancient Greece's dashing manner of fashion! Toga! Toga! Toga! (OK, so I'm kidding on this one. ;)

China during the Song Dynasty
Some of the greatest brush painters have come from this era. I find so much inspiration in their paintings and I try to learn from them as I create my own paintings.

The Viking Times
Ok, so this is my heritage talking here. Granted they were big on pillaging and plundering, but were also big on exploration. I would have loved to have been on one of the longships that discovered Iceland, Greenland, or Nova Scotia.

OK, it's not ten, but that's what I got!

5 Comments:

Blogger Melissa said...

Glad that was only a dream...and hope it never becomes reality!!
Great Haikus (is that the correct plural)..I guess I'm not creative enough to come up with a good one!!

9:45 AM  
Blogger Jen said...

great haiku and what a great reason to have a blog, to remember dreams. Neat.

12:55 PM  
Blogger Sometimes Sophia said...

Wow... you're ambitious, writing about all those prompts. Great job. Got to get me over to The Daily Haiku...

4:23 PM  
Blogger Los said...

I don't think that was a dream, dude ... Philly always has some sort of noxious cloud around it, doesn't it?

11:56 AM  
Blogger KatBouska said...

I couldn't believe how many people didn't know what a Haiku was! Thanks for sharing the link!!

1:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home